ETD's accurate?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:58:46 EDT

Richard writes:
> If you are not concerned with such accuracy, then you certainly have
>no use for a machine. You can slop in a tuning with 1 cent tolerences (from
>Ed's post along similar lines)  in 20 minutes or so.

        Um, does "slop in" used here refer to a 1 cent tolerance? The same 1
cent accepted by the Guild testing procedures?  In other words, are you
saying that a good tuning becomes a sloppy tuning if it varies by one cent?
       Also Richard, are you saying you can tune the same piano, with say,
tunings a week apart, aurally, and have all 88 notes the same on both
tunings, within less than 1 cent?  I have never seen this happen.  Especially
when you consider the temperature change of a degree or two will render all
this 1 cent precision an academic measurement.
Wondering,
Ed Foote RPT