Grand Island Tuner

Kdivad@aol.com Kdivad@aol.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:53:02 EDT

In a message dated 9/18/02 12:33:15 AM Central Daylight Time, bigda@gte.net
writes:

> >The national average for a tuning is $75?
>
> Man oh man.  This really, truly pisses me off, to see such an incredibly
> low figure published as the national average.
>
> Is your time worth less than a plumber? A phone repairman? a mechanic at
> a car dealer?
> A waiter in a fancy restaurant?
>
> Mine isn't.  I have said for years and years that we as a community
> deeply undervalue our time, our dedication, our skill, and our worth.  If
> this figure isn't proof of that, I don't know what is.
>
> To tune a piano, I drive to the location; I talk to the client; I set my
> self up; I tune the piano; I enter data into my computer & generate and
> invoice; I talk to the client----that's about a 2.5-3-hour involvement; I
> feel I'm underpaid when I charge $130-135.00. If there's more work than
> tuning (which there usually is, with my clientele) I charge 90.00 per
> hour, and feel pretty good about that.
>
> Let's honor and support each other, guys.  And LET'S GET PAID.
>
> DAVID ANDERSEN

David, I agree with you that most of us, as tuners and technicians, do not
get paid enough for our skills.  The problem is that you can't just wish a
higher pay scale. The price for a tuning depends on what the market will bear
in your area.  It is as simple as that.  Though a little increase in fees
over a period of time can usually be effective, you will still lose some
customers and if you step over that magic price line you will lose a lot of
customers.
Our time is worth what we can get paid for it, not a penny more.  Just like
that fancy piano that should be worth $50,000.00 but in reality will only
bring $5,000.00.  Here in my location the highest rates for tuning are in the
$100.00 range and there are few tuners who get that much, the $75.00 range is
about average.
 To honor and support each other would be to understand the problems of low
pay scale and not infer it is necessarily the tuners fault because we
undervalue our time.  Most of the members in the PTG and on this list
understand the problems and participate, not only to learn, but to raise the
consciousness of the public and therefore our value.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW