Re: Stéphane Collin

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 08:50:10 EDT

 Stéphane Collin asks:

>> Am I right assuming that the more drop, the more and for
>  longer time friction between the jack and the knuckle ?

    The jack is in contact with the knuckle from the bottom of the hammer
blow to the point of let-off,(and even then, the distal side of the jack may
lay against the proximal side of the knuckle, but that is not usually a
factor in the feel).
    After the drop button contacts the balancier, the jack has sole support
of the knuckle.  On a hard blow, this is not felt, on the softest, you may
find that the later the drop screw engages, the less friction there is upon
let-off because the balancier is holding up part of the weight while the jack
is pulled out from under the knuckle,  ( on many actions, you can actually
play a note very softly with the jack removed, so the balancier CAN carry
some of the weight all the way to escapement).
   Having the drop set too low will create a larger zone before let-off where
the pianist must play against repetition spring resistance. This will
certainly interfere with pianissimo control, particularly when playing rapid,
soft passages.

> While we are on that subject, do you regulate let off by
> feel also, or with a gauge ?

  I regulate let-off by finding how close the hammer can be brought to the
maximum excusion zone of the string without touching it.  That is why let-off
is greater in the bass.

>> Just another thaught : I sometimes feel that good touch
> feel is playing against good performance.  I.e. : I think I
> can achieve much better repetition when reducing aftertouch
> (but loosing the good feeling of the notch).

  The speed of repetition is determined by how far the key must travel back
upwards to allow the jack to reset, and how fast the key moves.  The distance
the key must travel is determined primarily by the hammer-checking height.
If one reduces the aftertouch by reducing keydip, the key has less distance
to travel before the jack resets, but it is hard to change keydip too far
away from 3/8".  You will also notice that, all other things being equal, as
you reduce the keydip, you lower the checking height, so this is
counterproductive to repetition speed.
    The difference in key return speed between a very strong spring and one
that slowly lifts the hammer from check is minimal, so excessive spring
strength only creates extra resistance at let-off,(via the drop resistance
and to a lesser extent, the jack's resistance).
    A soft spring, jacks positioned as far proximal as possible without
skipping, knuckle resting on both jack and balancier,  let-off and drop set
to just clear the strings excursion zone, checking at maybe 1/2" to 3/8", and
no more than .035" aftertouch will generally give you maximum ease of
escapement with the fastest repetition that the action is capable of.
   There are always qualifications.  Action ratios can affect rep speed,
particularly when the capstans are brought closer to the balance rail.  This
is due to the moment arm that the hammerweight has at its disposal to lift
the keyweight.  While moving the capstans closer to the balance rail will
often allow either heavier hammers or less lead in the key, there is a point
of diminishing returns after which repetion speed will be poor, regardless of
weights on either end of the equation.
Regards,
Ed Foote