muting strings

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:11:09 +0200

Hello, John,

I'm about making new felt mutes with action cloths.

I will give a try to your strip as described, how long is it ? (how
thick too if possible ?)

Thanks.

I like action cloth stripping as it fit better in more pianos than the
traditional muting felt.

I am used to tune with unisons immediately, but it is more tiring, and
I use the unison's bloom as a perfect check for pin settling so I will
have to change things a bit. Changing is fun !

For muting I prefer very big felt wedges, but I noticed that good
rubber wedges are comfortable when well placed.

A good wedge for verticals can be made with a thick leather piece
moisten and hammered, it will be soft and rubbery.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG

> Get a 2.54 cm strip of white medium action cloth. Stretch it out
> and lay it flat.
> Draw a line from the corner of both ends (on the top side)
> to a point on the middle of the strip 6.3 mm from the top side. Draw
a similar
> line from the corners of the bottom side to a point in the middle
6.3 "
> from the bottom side. Cut along the lines, which makes it
tapered--wider
> from the ends decreasing to 1.26 cm at the middle.
>
> To mute, use the middle point of the strip (the 1/2" wide
> part). Beginning at the highest note in the middle section, place
the strip
> in between every other string group, going down as far as you can.
Then,