ETD's accurate?

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:16:26 +0200

Hello

>From professional pianists point of view, excepting for concert venue,
they always prefer a touch up on regulation , a little voicing than a
so called "perfect" tuning, as the perfect tuning can't be obtained on
an uneven piano, and more or less will exacerbate the defects if done.
Good and solid unison's (& octaves) is most of what they want.

Then these touch up I consider as a part of the standard visit, but I
charge for them separately so the tuning time is 1h30 2h:30 generally,
and paid more than the less than € 100 that is practiced generally.

Very often the frame bedding have moved a bit, cushion have
compressed, and so hammers have hardened, etc.

I've been too long tuning concert instruments to allow pianos to stay
in bad conditions if I am to tune them.

Beside, on new customers, it is always surprising to hear the customer
saying that that is the first time he see someone pulling out the
action (i.e. on a Bösendorfer grand 2.200 after 20 years of use !)

On verticals often less time involved, but the tone change so much
with a bit of regulation that it is always rewarding to try.

>From evidence, even non-musicians customers are noticing that their
instrument where needing that job.

The most important is to be able to work in a so concentrate mood that
things are not to be done again and again (even if this is necessary
to come closer and closer in regulation). To be in front of the piano
is a necessity then, so the checking can be immediate, and comfort me
in the direction.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG