ETD's accurate?

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 23:23:49 -0700

>At what point does accuracy or precision matter to the paying customer?

>At what point does accuracy become playing with yourself?
>
>What is acceptable and what is not to the customer or to your wallet?
>
>Wallowing in your own admiration is counter productive.

That is bullshit, Newton.  Sorry for the expletive, but I want to get the
list's attention.

I'm doing this work to please myself, to thrill myself, to take pride in
what I do, to make money, to servfe the client, to educate players about
how great a piano can really sound----but mainly, I'm doing it to please
myself, my dignity, my skill.

I am sick and tired of the cynical attitude that says: hey, nobody cares
whether it's OK work or world-class work; people can't tell the
difference, anyway.  Let's just take the money and run.

The above is diametrically opposed to everything i stand for.  I believe
excellence matters, not only in the work, but in the attitude it conveys,
the "vibe" it creates.

Look---there are easier and less craft-intensive ways of making money.
If that's your main concern, do something else.  You'll never get rich
working on pianos.  And you'll never be truly fulfilled, IMO, unless you
challenge yourself to do one thing in your life with 100% effort.  If you
do this in other areas of your life, kudos.  I find it incredibly
difficult to pull off, and i find my mind will ALWAYS give me a back
door, a rationalization, for doing some degree of a half-ass job; but I
believe a conscious human being can and will fight those urges to give up
and do his/her best.
One thing I love about this list is coming in contact with other people
who love what I love and are obviously trying to do their best, sometimes
in the face of huge real-world challenges.  I mean no disrespect to you
or anyone here, but i feel very strongly about this.

End of rant.

David A.