Bechstein grand spread dimension,

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:35:50 -0700

>Can I ask you how you define a good aftertouch ? By feel at the key ? by
>precise measuring (at the key or at the jack) ?

 By feel at the key.  The "notch" has a certain, unmistakable good
feeling when it is "right."
Drop, regulated properly, has a crucial effect on a good feeling in the
"notch," or aftertouch.
Drop is also something i regulate both visually, but mostly by feel.
Regulation is a web of interacting sensations in "test mode" that
translate into evenness and pleasure of touch. Every aspect of regulation
has an effect on the eventual feel of the instrument, and that's why you
can't drop anything out , and why one should challenge oneself to focus
on every regulation step on every note.  This is easier when you focus on
a feeling, sound, or visual, rather than doing the protocol "on automatic"
and focusing your attention on your thoughts.

Another David---David Andersen