Breaking Strength of Strings

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 10:47:54 -0700

Ron,
This thread brings up some interesting questions. Your formula kicked out a
different set of numbers, than mine. Hmmm? This points out that there exists
different formulae to accomplish approximately the same results, but not
necessarily the same results. So, which is better/preferred/used by most,
etc., is the first question. Second question is: why are there different
formulae? Third: which ones are more current/accurate, (in relation to
modern piano wire manufacturing limits/accuracy)?
I have always said that "close is only relevant to horseshoes, hand grenades
and H-bombs". So, how close is close and should it or could it make a
difference in fine tuning a scale?
For me, I think that the small nuances do make a difference in trying to
make a mediocre scale better.
Of course, we both know that, what really looks good, on paper, many times
just isn't the real world, in piano scaling.
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)