The Steinway Bell Patent

Tue, 17 Sep 2002 07:51:27 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 17, 2002 7:36 AM
  Subject: Re: The Steinway Bell Patent

  In a message dated 9/16/2002 8:48:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time, =
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

    Well, I think so. It does seem to help sustain enough to warrant the =
extra work. And we leave the bell and bolt in--we don't remove it. Their =
influence doesn't overlap--they do different things. Though the brace =
could, I suppose, be place to receive the bell bolt. I prefer keeping =
the added brace down a bit.

    Del

            Do you mean keeping the size of the brace down?
             Dale

No, down further in the scale. I want the brace to butt up against the =
belly rail approximately half way between the so-called (and lamentably =
mis-named) "tone-collector" and the treble end. I don't have a D in the =
shop just now so I can't be more specific--I'd have to look at one.

Del