The Steinway Bell Patent

Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:27:18 +0200

Robin Hufford wrote:

> I don't know that I would agree that the bell nosebolt sings.  My
> understanding was that it was designed to be able to allow the plate to
> be forced down to follow the board should it flatten and improve the
> sound thereby.  Regards, Robin Hufford

This jives well with what the head man at at Hamburg had to say, and it
fits well enough with the patent for sure. That being said I cant help but
think Delwin is correct in observing that the apparatus also couples the
mass of the rim to the plate, and the results seem predictable enough.

I imagine there is a bit of this and a bit of that when it comes down to
it, but I do like the mass coupling explanation.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.