Breaking Strength of Piano Wire

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:29:14 -0500

>Mike Spalding
>Your comment: "At a given length and frequency, the percentage breaking
>strength of the steel wire is constant."!!!!!!!'
>I hate to tell you this, but, it's not!
>Here is the approximate breaking strengths of piano wire:

Joe,
sizes on any plain wire unison of given length and frequency. In reality,
the smaller sizes do have a little higher tensile strength than the larger,
but with the Sanderson formula, the break% for the unison doesn't change
with wire size changes. Changing either the frequency, or the speaking
length will change the break% calculation in the worksheet, but changing
wire size won't. That's what Mike is talking about.

Ron N