Bechstein grand spread dimension,

Mon, 16 Sep 2002 07:41:49 -0700

  From: St=E9phane Collin=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: September 16, 2002 3:06 AM
  Subject: Re: Bechstein grand spread dimension,

  David,

  Just two questions.

    Action ratio is equal to=20

    blow distance - letoff=20
    key dip - after touch=20

    By increasing the spread you will lower the action ratio.  A lower =
action ratio will mean that the piano will require deeper dip.  Or, in =
your case, you will have less aftertouch.   Before doing this, you will =
have to make sure that altering the spread doesn't create other problems =
especially in terms of jack/knuckle alignment. =20

    The other alternative is to reduce the blow distance. =20

  If I follow you, didn't you mean increase the blow distance (in order =
to reduce the aftertouch for the same key dip and same action ratio) ?

  Can I ask you how you define a good aftertouch ? By feel at the key ? =
by precise measuring (at the key or at the jack) ?=20

  And indeed, do you feel it is more important to keep good alignment =
between jack and knucle core, and therefor altering preferrably the =
hammer blow ?

  Thanks for your expert advises.

  St=E9phane Collin.