Piano Sound: was something else

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 05:07:06 -0700 (PDT)

--- Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Comment interspersed below:
>
> Is this a marketing ad or something? I thought all
> this was deemed horse-hockey a long time ago.

By whom? Why?

> Terry Farrell

Both. Whatever vibrations are not immediately
reflected back into the board will be transmitted to
the case/ rim. There, a portion of them becomes heat
in the wood fibers. Another portion is transferred to
the air as auible resonance  ( by whatever capacity
the case has for this ) and the rest travel back into
the board to do their thing.

> >  And
> > this is, I believe, one reason why old American
> pianos
> > sound so gorgeous: the rims and cases were built
> of
> > ash or maple, old growth with very close rings,
> > properly seasoned and very hard. Particularly
> > Victorian era pianos.
>
> When, exactly, was the "Victorian" era - or what
> defines it?

 Well, to be honest I must say "Late Victorian and
Edwardian eras", meaning 1885-1915.

> >      So a stiff rim helps the crown stay up
>
> Haven't we been through this also? Have you read the
> multitudes of past posts on this topic? They provide
> a fairly convincing argument against this line of
> thinking.

Like what? I don't believe it!!! A flimsy case can not
withstand the outward pressure of the board as the
downward pressure of strings ( 1-2/2 tons
approximately ) pushes it out. Have you never seen the
Mason and Hamlin demonstration bar, with the rib
between two rigidly fixed blocks? When a mere business
card is placed between one end and the block the rib
bows up. WAY up!!! Why do you think Gertz made the
turnbuckle system? Do prevent this deformation, that's
why!

> >and
> > refects vibrations back to the board, and a dense
> rim
> > carries intruding vibrations around the piano
>

> I've seen the marketing BS with the rim reflecting
> arrows of sound, but never arrows traveling around
> the piano. Where does this come from?

What does not reflect back to the board or dissipate
as heat will travel around the case. Why do you think
hinges and casters buzz? Sheesh!

> > and back
> > into the board where they might do the most good.
> > have no compunction about neatly placing
> bolts/screws
> > between framing members and case parts to
> facilitate
> > this stiffness and transmittance, as metal
> transmits
> > vibrations better than wood and will not resonate
> if
> > embedded in it. Results bear this out.

I will put bolts/screws/dowells between frame members
and case parts to enhance rigidity, and to prevent
even hairline cracks from creating a gulf which
vibrations can not bridge. If I can not adequately
get epoxy in these cracks, a dowell and/or bolt/screw
will create this bridge. An excellent article on this
was in the journal some years back, regarding a
Victorian Knabe. The author swore by it, and that's
where I got the idea from.

> What is your point here with bolts/screws? Where are
> you putting them? Why? What are the results?

A "bigger" more "solid" tone. More energy transferred
back to the board, either by direct refection or after
running around the case a bit. Less dissipated as heat
in relatively non-resonant parts of the piano.