Bechstein grand spread dimension,

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:06:25 +0200

David,

Just two questions.

  Action ratio is equal to=20

  blow distance - letoff=20
  key dip - after touch=20

  By increasing the spread you will lower the action ratio.  A lower =
action ratio will mean that the piano will require deeper dip.  Or, in =
your case, you will have less aftertouch.   Before doing this, you will =
have to make sure that altering the spread doesn't create other problems =
especially in terms of jack/knuckle alignment. =20

  The other alternative is to reduce the blow distance. =20

If I follow you, didn't you mean increase the blow distance (in order to =
reduce the aftertouch for the same key dip and same action ratio) ?

Can I ask you how you define a good aftertouch ? By feel at the key ? by =
precise measuring (at the key or at the jack) ?=20

And indeed, do you feel it is more important to keep good alignment =
between jack and knucle core, and therefor altering preferrably the =
hammer blow ?

Thanks for your expert advises.

St=E9phane Collin.