Upright and Grand rims, was: Impressive Steinway Upright

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 02:26:45 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Terry,
     Well, I try to avoid "magic circles" ( remember,
I'm still a monk ) but would imagine that a curved,
laminated rim would do better at passing the
vibrations around the board's perimeter to where they
could be most easily re-transmitted into it ( as well
as reflected, by the curved rim's ability to withstand
stress from the outward pressure of the
board--remember the arch principle.  But it would also
provide a superior reflection point if it follows the
perimeter of the board's most lively portion. On an
upright, as has been so nicely pointed out, there's
not much sense in reflecting vibrations back to the
corners ( hence the cutoff bars ).  And I imagine that
vibrations would prefer travelling around a
continuous, bent rim, rather than negotiating
right-angles and glue joints.
     Respectfully,
     Gordon Stelter