Piano Sound: was something else

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:43:11 +0930

So you says that a rim  reflects or has to reflect ?. And why should it. ?

Tony Caught
caute@optusnet.com.au

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 5:13 PM
Subject: Piano Sound: was something else

> We keep ridiculing this, without really knowing what it refers too.
Similiar subjects come up and get discounted more or less out of hand also.
Yet much is made of the importance of string / soundboard impedance match to
sustain and power. Perhaps there are other "impedance matches" to the
strings energy that play an important / significant roll in the "end
product" sound of the piano. Perhaps its not so much a matter of whether one
rim reflects more  or better then another... but rather that one rim
relfects an optimal amount.. ??

> RicB
>
> Farrell wrote:
>
> > This is what I am describing on the S&S upright. And are you speaking in
reference to the "magic circle of sound"? Does a laminated rim "reflect"
sound better than a solid timber frame?