Bechstein grand spread dimension,

Sun, 15 Sep 2002 22:54:42 -0700

I believe the correct spread dimension is 113.5 for that piano.  But =
that is only part of the equation.  If you feel the relationship between =
the dip and blow distances is not correct, you will have to examine the =
action ratio overall.  Remember that one way to define the action ratio =
is by that relationship: =20

Action ratio is equal to=20

blow distance - letoff=20
key dip - after touch=20

Or, more simply, the relationship between key travel and hammer travel.  =
This relationship has also been expressed in terms of weight by the =
Stanwood formula.

The point is that an action with a given action ratio and a targeted =
blow distance will have to be set up with a corresponding dip.  If you =
want to alter the dip, you will have to alter either the action ratio or =
the blow distance.  I believe the action ratio on the Bechstein is =
designed to be 5.75.  This should give you approximately 47 mm blow with =
10 mm dip.  If in fact there is too much aftertouch at 9.5 mm dip, then =
it appears that the action ratio is somewhat higher than that. =20

The action ratio can be altered by changing the spread, moving the =
capstan, or moving the knuckle.  In this case, since you presumably =
don't want to move the capstan or knuckle, one alternative is to alter =
the spread.   =20

By increasing the spread you will lower the action ratio.  A lower =
action ratio will mean that the piano will require deeper dip.  Or, in =
your case, you will have less aftertouch.   Before doing this, you will =
have to make sure that altering the spread doesn't create other problems =
especially in terms of jack/knuckle alignment. =20

The other alternative is to reduce the blow distance. =20

A more precise measurement of the action ratio will give you a better =
idea of what options you might pursue.

David Love

----- Original Message -----=20