muting strings

Bigeartb@aol.com Bigeartb@aol.com
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 23:05:21 EDT

List:
     I usually mute (with the felt strips only) the entire piano from tenor
through the last treble note before tuning. However, I have noticed primarily
in the tenor and  mid sections, I hear a lot of overtones when using only the
felt strips as a mute. When I use rubber mutes I hear the fundamental much,
much better and most of the overtones are not as obvious. Do you folk mute
only with felt strips or do you find it better to mute with the rubber mutes.
If rubber...individual rubber mutes or a 'bank of rubber mutes'?

Thanks,
Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.