Politics & religion

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 18:25:02 -0500

Dearest List Members:

I have the widest possible acceptance for topics both on topic and
off.  We are, as it has been pointed out many times, both piano
technicians and human beings.  We discuss things in our lives that
interest us.  This includes many topics not involving pianos.  ok.

Two topics that NEVER convince anyone in an argument are politics and
religion.  I have never been persuaded in either topic by an
argument.  If anyone of you has ever changed your mind in either of
these areas because of an argument, please let me know.  I've never
seen it before.

The one thing that can be assured when either of these items come up,
is an argument, then a fight, then a war.  I am personally a man both
of religious faith, and political persuasion.  I'm not embarrassed by
the discussion of either.  However, on this list it always
degenerates to name calling, denigration of character, and verbal
assault.  Some are hurt, no one is helped.  Temperaments might bring
on harsh words, but at least they are on topic.

Thanks,

dave
David M. Porritt
dporritt@mail.smu.edu