Upright and Grand rims, was: Impressive Steinway Upright

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:00:26 -0500

Hi Del,
              Nice drawing, kind of in line with some of my ideas of
theoretical centreing of bridges for grands.
  What we tend to forget is that, the vibrations spread out from the bridge
like a pebble thrown into a Mill pond. In a grand, because of the strike
line and the position of the belly rail, the bridge is far from
centred.  Some of this problem may be alleviated by varying the rib height.
Thinner to the short side, taller to the long side.
The design of the case and action position of vertical pianos will always
give more flexibility than in a grand.
  The thickness of the belly rail joint ( reflector ) to the board in the
top treble is going to be a problem, along with where the bridge is fixed,
vs the hammer line.
  Lots of tap dancing is done in the extreme treble to get  better sustain,
duplexing, undercutting the bridge,etc.  Ever tried putting an apron up
there? I know off the wall.mmmmmmmmm  Shoot me I am being revolutionary.
With accujust  hitch pins to reduce board loading in a controlled manner,
along with an apron, and finally a variable height rib, we could
theoretically centre that bridge.
  Sunday musings.
Roger