Upright and Grand rims, was: Impressive Steinway Upright

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 10:02:59 -0700 (PDT)

So are these "rubbish sounds" just specific,
sympathetic resonances picked up by the spruce in
areas where he daming of the strings would not supress
them ( corners?)? That's what I have always thought
the "cutoff bars" were for: to dampen soundboard areas
prone to this effect. Bush and Lane(and a few others)
made uprights with an actual curved, laminated "inner
rim" which I believe acted as "cutoff bar" as well as
sending the vibrations around the board and reflecting
them back into it, like a grand rim would.
     Gordon Stelter