Impressive Steinway Upright

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 15:27:42 -0400

I am the happy new owner of an 1892 Steinway 54" upright piano. It is beautifully worn out and ready for remanufacture. It is impressive. It has full sostenuto and a full grand-style 2-inch thick bent hardwood rim for the soundboard and a big laminated cut-off bar. The plate extends to the piano bottom and has a couple-inch wide flange that bolts to the bottom of the piano (the flange is 90 degrees to the plate). I haven't taken it apart yet, but I imagine it has the upper pinblock flange as well (my 1900 S&S upright has this).

It won't happen tomorrow, but someday this will indeed be quite a piano. Anyone know what models have the bent rim? Why and when did Steinway stop using the bent rim. The only other bent rim I have ever seen on an upright was on a Bush & Lane.

Terry Farrell