The Steinway Bell Patent

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 12:11:23 -0700

I imagine it must have some mysterious, Steinwayesque function.  It's probably
part of the magic circle of sound.  Oops, lost my head there for a second...
It is curious that they chose to use it since a beam would probably be
cheaper.  Perhaps marketing explains it, but I doubt CFT Steinway was that
taken in by his own PR.  I had an AB Chase concert grand that had a bell of a
different design.  Similar to the Steinway bell but it spanned over to the
belly rail, like a beam.  It was made of cast iron, was quite massive, and a
nosebolt went down to it.  I was mystified as to why they chose to use this
since it seemed to be serving the function of a beam, but would be more
expensive (I would think).  Does the cast iron have some magical property that
wood doesn't have for this application?  Could it perhaps be the mass?

Phil F