The Steinway Bell Patent

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 10:52:23 -0500

>And in an area where the piano would have certainly been better off with a
>beam to the belly rail anyway. I can't see how the bell/bolt arrangement is
>any better than a beam and it does nothing to stabilize the bellyrail.
>
>Del

That one's easy. M&M - Marketing and Mystique. The bell LOOKS as if it
might be doing something magical (whatever that may be, probably something
involving mention of, if not connection to, Helmholts resonators) besides
just anchoring a nose bolt. No matter how many times this comes up, there's
nearly always the presumption of some mysterious Steinwayesque function
that mere mortals aren't equipped to understand.

We'll see it again real soon.

Ron N