Temperament LIst, was OT - Florida Update

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 09:05:48 -0600

Hi Mike,

The signal to noise ratio on pianotech has caused and will cause more and
more of the members to leave, thus weakening the whole list. We are mostly
independant business people and very used to having our own way. At the
same time the list is very much like the game "telegraph" where in a group
you whisper something into someone's ear--and they tell the next person.
Usually by the time it has passed thru ten persons what is being said can
not be recognized as the original topic by the originator.

There are always some new subscribers. We should be very careful about
"leading  persons down the garden path". I, for example, will never ever
replace a soundboard. Terry Farrell will.

The whole area of HT is very cloudy to say the least from a historian point
of view. The research done in the area has not been independantly
duplicated, so far as I know. What information there is has often been
"massaged", "rounded off" and perhaps even "improved". There are few "hard
facts" and almost no recordings that could be analysed.

Personally I'd rather work on "seventh dragron" unisons, and octaves that
enhance the sound of the instrument.

At 08:58 AM 9/14/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Don,
>
>Here's why not.  Temperaments, historical or otherwise, are a valid topic
for Pianotech, and are of interest to a large number of subscribers.
Repeated repetitive hysterical personal attacks, for any reason, including
temperament disagreements, are NOT.