[pianotech] Grand Treble Bell

Fri, 13 Sep 2002 23:44:27 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 13, 2002 1:38 PM
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Grand Treble Bell

> John Musselwhite wrote:
> >
> > >Richard Brekne asked
> > >Does this item have a specific / proper name?

> > US Patent #314740 - Mar 31, 1885  CFT Steinway - Grand Treble Bell.
> >
> > In "The Steinway Saga", Fostle mentions that the bell was inspired by
the
> > "Helmholtz Resonator" and indeed, I've also heard the treble bell called
by
> > that name, though it's a misnomer.
> >

> Interestingly enough, the patent speaks in no way of this device being
concieved
> of as a mass coupler. Its stated purpose is rather to help keep the plate
from
> being pushed upwards by the strings.... at least thats what it looks like
to me.
> It also mentions that this imparts an increased "singing" quality to the
sound of
> the strings.
>
> Comments ?

As I said in another post, the question was not what the original patent
claimed it was for, nor was the question what the company has claimed it was
for over the years (two or three different things right there). The question
was, as I understood it, what does it actually do. What it actually does is
mass-couples the plate hitchpin panel to the rim.

Del