Pinblock too low

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:41:31 -0700

Mike,
I'm working on that same type of piano right now and fitting the
pinblock.  The original is slightly thinner (approximately 3/32 in.)
than the 1.5 in. pinblock material available from suppliers.  I'm
assuming the person who installed it did not realize why it is important
to duplicate all dimensions as they were originally.

Sorry, I can't offer any suggestions not that it is installed.  Only
condolences.

Jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Associate Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Mike and Jane Spalding
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 3:51 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Pinblock too low

List,

Today I was asked to examine a "rebuilt" piano and figure out why it
plays so poorly.  Knabe small grand from mid-1920's.  It was obvious
just sitting at the kyboard an playing a little, that the damper timing
was way uneven, and drop was way low.  Thought the solution would be
failry straightforward.  Then I pulled the action, which did not slide
out easily, and saw the pinblock hanging 1/4" below the stretcher, and
the furrows ploughed (plowed?) by the drop screws.  OK, now we know why
the last guy didn't regulate the drop.  Obviously got to make some room
to raise the drop screws.  Shanks are original, so I might gain
something by bolstering knuckles, but probably not enough.  I could go
in there with a disk sander and grind some off the bottom of the
pinblock, but I'd prefer not to inflict the noise and mess on the
customer's living room.  Anyone else ever faced this situation, and
found a neat (i.e. reasonably clean and quiet) solution?

thanks

Mike Spalding, RPT