[pianotech] Grand Treble Bell

Fri, 13 Sep 2002 22:38:07 +0200

John Musselwhite wrote:

> >Richard Brekne asked
> >Does this item have a specific / proper name?
> >
> >>Del responds
> >>f there is, I don't know it. I've always heard it referred to as "the bell."
>
> US Patent #314740 - Mar 31, 1885  CFT Steinway - Grand Treble Bell.
>
> In "The Steinway Saga", Fostle mentions that the bell was inspired by the
> "Helmholtz Resonator" and indeed, I've also heard the treble bell called by
> that name, though it's a misnomer.

Interestingly enough, the patent speaks in no way of this device being concieved
of as a mass coupler. Its stated purpose is rather to help keep the plate from
being pushed upwards by the strings.... at least thats what it looks like to me.
It also mentions that this imparts an increased "singing" quality to the sound of
the strings.

Comments ?

--
Richard Brekne