Pitch Raise Speed/etc., was: Steinway vs. The Tuner

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:10:30 -0600

Hi Terry,

To answer your last question pitch corrections should be based on the most
recent data available. It is one very good reason to do unisons as you go
style pitch corrections.

At 08:05 AM 9/13/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I agree that one will benefit from doing a separate pitch raise pass on a
piano that is 4 cents flat (IMHO, even 2 cents). But that implies that when
you adjust each pin, you will be getting the string pitch to within a cent
of target.
>A third pitch raise topic here. I have never seen addressed the phenomenon
of a piano below pitch dropping even more in pitch while pitch raising
(hmmm....doesn't seem to make any sense). This especially applies to ETD
users when calculating overpull. Let's say you have a piano that is
uniformly 20 cents flat. Start pitch raising at A0 with your 17% and 25%
overpulls. By the time you get to F5, check the pitch of the strings above
F5 - they will likely be at least 30 cents flat, if not a bit more flat. So
the question is then do you base your overpulls on an initial
characterization of piano pitch, or on the next few strings as you go. I
always do it on the next few strings as I go.

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.