PinBlock too low

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:10:32 -0500

>Realistically, right now I need to cure the biggest defects, the ones
>which prevent the piano from playing adequately, not the ones which
>prevent it from playing at it's highest potential.

And if there's something more fundamental wrong that should have been
corrected, that takes the likelihood of it ever being corrected one step
further away than where the original "rebuild" left it. One of the
businesss' major frustrations.

>This is a compromise I find myself faced with quite often, and I believe
>that most of us, engaged in the variety of home piano service, must either
>learn to compromise or go nuts.

I thought it was pretty obvious that we ARE all nuts, both because of and
in spite of trying to make our peace with trying to do our best under the
circumstances.

>Regarding plate height, it appears the "re-*******er" reinstalled the
>plate on the original dowels, and installed new strings across the
>original bridges and pins.  So, how far off could it be????
>
>regards,
>
>Mike

If it went back just where it was, how did the pinblock get too low? Or are
the drop screws too long compared to the original - which you don't have on
hand to make the comparison. Don't assume anything. Take measurements, look
it over closely and thoroughly and try to establish just what you've got
before you fix anything.

If it came to taking a layer off the bottom of the block, I think I'd put
the piano on it's side and attack it with a slick or other large chisel.
Bigger chips, less dust, good neck survival potential, easier cleanup.

These are not fun situations.

Ron N