EBVT Imbalances Disproven

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:27:47 EDT

Here again is the big lie, Ed Foote wrote, knowing that it was not true and
for one purpose alone, to make himself the HT guru and to discredit the way
I've been successfully tuning pianos for 10 years:

> This
> doesn't change the fact that the ebvt creates a more tempered E-G# of
> 17+cents than the F#-A# of 13.7.  It is folly to think that going up two
> semitones will somehow make the F# third seem to beat faster.  It doesn't,
> and the harmonic balance is poor because of it.  It is this break with
> tradition, (no other temperament I know of has this amount of imbalance in
> the progression of its thirds), that renders the ebvt an atypical
> arrangement
> and makes any claim of its author to its "authenticity" a pipedream.  Scale
> placement cannot save this poor harmonic balance.

In the past few days, I took Direct Interval measurements of several ordinary
pianos that I tuned.  Ed Foote is on record as calling all of these "JUNK".
I'd like to see him go into the elegant, well appointed homes in the upper
middle class neighborhoods I did and say what he did right here on Pianotech.
 These are all JUNK pianos, so of course the FAC program won't work.  Yet,
this is the only information he offers, numbers copied out of a book.  Just
look at the numbers, don't read anything else, just the numbers.  So, what do
all of you out there who only tune JUNK do to compensate for a program Ed
Foote concedes will not work?

If you were to believe Ed Foote, two of the pianos I tuned in an upscale
section of town at the elementary school where I have been the technician now
for 20 years, were JUNK.  I have now for 10 years victimized the children of
that school by providing "poor harmonic balance" on their JUNK.  I'd like to
put one of Ed's tune-by-numbers attempts up to some careful aural and
electronic scrutiny.  I'm sure I'd find a few embarrassing stains in his
dirty laundry.

( n/r = not recorded)

Piano                   B2-D#3  Db3-F3  E3-G#3  F#3-A#3  Ab3-C4

Walter Studio          n/r           n/r       15.8        18.8       n/r__
Weber Grand          17.0         18.2     16.6        17.6       n/r
Acrosonic               16.1         18.7      14.3       18.6      14.8
Yamaha P22           18.1         18.9      15.3       18.7      18.0
Everett Studio          16.9         17.3      15.8       16.7      16.3
Knabe Console         16.6         16.6     16.0        14.8     14.8
Kawai Console         16.9         15.7      14.5        16.2     15.1

These figures contradict Ed Foote's lies and attempts at defamation when he
said that the EBVT is "full of imbalances".  There aren't any imbalances at
all.  It would be easy however to make slight errors and create them. Some of
these errors include:

Initial F3-A3 set faster than 6 beats per second.
Making one of the pure intervals a little tempered of tempered the wrong way.
Stretching the octave a little too much.

Ed Foote says he tried to tune the EBVT both aurally and electronically.  If
he got the results he claims he got trying to tune the EBVT, how accurate can
his tunings be where he just copied numbers out of books?  Or did he just
plain LIE about it?  I don't believe or trust a thing Ed Foote says and never
will.

"Sideways Well":  the pit Ed Foote dug for himself to wallow in the day he
knowingly published false data for the EBVT on Pianotech.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin