Pinblock too low

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 21:22:06 -0400

Mike,
         I encountered something exactly like this after I had sent my
customers piano to a rebuilder and it came back as you described. I told
the customer it should go back but they refused as it had already been at
the rebuilders 2 months longer than expected. Since I had to resolve the
problem myself I went at the underside of the pin block with a (initially)
sharp chisel. I peeled off two layers cursing under my breath the whole
time and hit many a low tuning pin in the process. When all was said and
done it regulated fine and is a fine instrument today but Oh what an ordeal
that was! Not one of my proudest moments sending it to that fellow. FWIW

Greg newell

At 06:50 PM 9/12/2002, you wrote:

>List,
>
>Today I was asked to examine a "rebuilt" piano and figure out why it plays
>so poorly.  Knabe small grand from mid-1920's.  It was obvious just
>sitting at the kyboard an playing a little, that the damper timing was way
>uneven, and drop was way low.  Thought the solution would be failry
>straightforward.  Then I pulled the action, which did not slide out
>easily, and saw the pinblock hanging 1/4" below the stretcher, and the
>furrows ploughed (plowed?) by the drop screws.  OK, now we know why the
>last guy didn't regulate the drop.  Obviously got to make some room to
>raise the drop screws.  Shanks are original, so I might gain something by
>bolstering knuckles, but probably not enough.  I could go in there with a
>disk sander and grind some off the bottom of the pinblock, but I'd prefer
>not to inflict the noise and mess on the customer's living room.  Anyone
>else ever faced this situation, and found a neat (i.e. reasonably clean
>and quiet) solution?
>
>thanks
>
>Mike Spalding, RPT

Greg Newell