Pinblock too low

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:59:55 EDT

In a message dated 9/12/02 11:53:31 PM !!!First Boot!!!, kenrpt@earthlink.net
writes:

> Today I was asked to examine a "rebuilt" piano and figure out why it plays
> so poorly.  Knabe small grand from mid-1920's.  It was obvious just sitting
> at the kyboard an playing a little, that the damper timing was way uneven,
> and drop was way low.  Thought the solution would be failry straightforward.
> Then I pulled the action, which did not slide out easily, and saw the
> pinblock hanging 1/4" below the stretcher, and the furrows ploughed
> (plowed?) by the drop screws.  OK, now we know why the last guy didn't
> regulate the drop.  Obviously got to make some room to raise the drop
> screws.  Shanks are original, so I might gain something by bolstering
> knuckles, but probably not enough.  I could go in there with a disk sander
> and grind some off the bottom of the pinblock, but I'd prefer not to inflict
> the noise and mess on the customer's living room.  Anyone else ever faced
> this situation, and found a neat (i.e. reasonably clean and quiet) solution?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Mike Spalding, RPT

Mike

Although there might be several different ways to get around this problem, I
think the best solution is to confront the customer with the real problem,
and tell them the only correct solution is to replace the pin block. Anything
short of that will cause nothing but one problem after another. Even if you
rout off the bottom of the pin block, you might hit the bottom of the pins,
which creates another problem.

I know this is probably not the solution the customer wants to hear, but I
would rather not try to do anything than do any kind of "fix," which is
really not a fix.

Wim