Steinway vs. The Tuner, Round One

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 19:15:31 -0500

I don't have a lot of S&S experience (in the Ozarks? Gimme a break!) but =
I do tune a few.

Tuned an "L" infantile horizontal piano today and got thinking while =
wrestling with it. Pinblock quite tight (somewhat jumpy pins), string =
movement resistance quite high, and the collarless pins VERY sensitive =
to pressure in any direction--up pitch, down pitch, flagpoling, =
whatever.=20

I find many notes very hard to pull in for sweet unisons. I was =
personally taught by Randy Potter how to tune stable strings & pins but =
found that moving the pin in teeny notches is very hard--too high, too =
low, too high ...=20

If I got it just a hair over pitch and tried to settle everything with =
back pressure on the hammer, it dropped way too much. Finally, with time =
running out and getting a little desperate, I started dropping pitch =
(about a 45 degree turn of the hammer) and tuning "from the bottom" with =
a smooth steady pull while wanging the string pretty hard. Most of the =
time I could stop right on pitch --even on strings I had spent WAY too =
long trying to tune the "normal" way.

But I worry about how stable they are as I could not "set" the pin in =
the usual way.

Is this pretty typical Steinway?

What about stability in these circumstances?

What hammer techniques do y'all use on the beasts?

NOTE: While tuning, I was rehearsing a pretty negative inner dialog =
about Steinway and all of their "genuine Steinway parts;" thinking how =
expensive they are and how much they look like every other piano, etc. =
BUT after I tuned it, I played it. Even for a small piano, what a =
beautiful, sweet sound. Oh, the subtleties ...=20