[pianotech] Too Many Uprights

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:29:32 EDT

In a message dated 9/11/02 3:40:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I would fear for my reputation if I were to put these pianos out on the
> street - even with a little "fixing up". I'll give them to another tech for
> rebuilding, but I would not give either one to someone that was going to
> try and play it. What if they told someone else where they got it?
>
> But that's just me.
>
> Terry Farrell

My experience tells me that the fear of loosing a reputation is much greater
than actually loosing it. For the most part, people looking for a "fixer
upper" are content with a piano that doesn't play 100%. Furthermore, what's
to prevent the technician you thought was going to fix it up, to do the same
thing. The only saving grace here is that it would be his reputation at
stake, instead of yours. But he could also say "Terry worked on this."

Unless the piano is totally unplayable, in which case it needs to taken to
the dump, without the nice wood panels, if you can make a few bucks off it,
and make a poor family happy, why give it away.

Wim