Soundboard to Rim Clamping Pressure

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:13:01 -0400

I have read a fair bit from various sources regarding the importance of proper rib-to-panel clamping pressure. Most recommendations range from 40 psi to 100 psi. Other recommendations for softwood glue joints from woodworking sources (like Franklin) suggest softwoods require closer to 100 to 150 psi. Franklin also recommends higher pressures for hardwood joints. OK.

I have not come across any definitive recommendations for soundboard-to-rim clamping pressure, save for "not too little and not too much - go for good squeeze-out". This seems a bit nebulous to me. Anyone able to be more specific? Perhaps more pressure is required as we have a hardwood-to-softwood joint there. I would hate to see one of my boards pop out after a few years.

Thanks.

Terry Farrell