[pianotech] Re: new list features

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:45:00 -0400

At 11:35 PM -0400 9/10/02, Tvak@aol.com wrote:
>Please leave it in for those of us who CAN'T separate things into fancy extra
>mailboxes.  So often I miss personal email in the endless list of posts from
>the list.  This separates them visually.  It's great!

Tom,

I can sympathize with someone held back by old hardware. I first
signed onto to AOL in '92 with a '89 vintage mac, and continued
happily on, as AOL upgraded its software until  Spring of '96 when
AOL introduced v2.6. This version claimed to support (at least) v2.5,
but only if my mac OS was sys7.0 or later. Because of RAM limits, I
was held back in OS 6.0.8.

I had to find a local ISP (not difficult) and spend the next 15
months, collecting my email in telnet sessions, suing an aged Unix
mail client program, Pine, and using a database to process the
individual pieces of mail. No fun. Finally, I sold a big piano and
was able to move up to current hardware.

What's your email software and operating system?

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"People sitting at computer screens slap their foreheads and pound
keyboards frantically. A technical support representative wearing a
telephone headset calmly asks, 'Have you tried re-formatting your
hard drive?' "
     ...........from "The Trade Show Talk that Wasn't" by Stephen
Manes, NYTimes 11/18/97