[pianotech] new list features

Andy Rudoff andy@rudoff.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:52:13 -0600 (MDT)

>Do you plan to manage the foreing alphabet vowels with an accent on them ? So my name (Stéphane Collin) won't look up like =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane_Collin?= again, and I wont get some suspicious posts anymore about me being so STRANGE.

The feature you're talking about is part of the "MIME" standard for
encoding mail messages.  Majordomo knew nothing about MIME and sometimes
those strings like "=?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane_Collin?=" were surrounded
by other text so they weren't recognized by mail readers and expanded
correctly.  Mailman is much more MIME aware, but it remains to be seen
if it has this problem or not.  There are also plenty of mail readers
still in use out there that do not know how to correctly expand those
strings.

So I suspect you will still get the occasional complaints that your
name is not printing correctly.  When it is the fault of the list
software, I will look into it and try to resolve it, but of course
there's nothing I can do when someone's mail reader doesn't just
display the string according to the MIME standard.

-andy