[pianotech] Which HT is best?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:36:11 EDT

> Hi List,   I have finally got one of the staff at the University, I have
>>a contract  with, to think seriously, about having one of the pianos,
>in
>>his studio tuned to  an HT. My problem is, I don't play, and have no
>>experience as to what sounds good  with what. Is there a list that tells,
>>which temperament sounds best for a certain  time period, or composer?
>I intend to use a SATlll, and offset the tuning with either the ones from
> the manual, or other offsets I have that were made from Mr Jorgensen's
>>book.

Greetings,
   Well, if you are using a machine, it will have to be one of the series
offsets that Jorgensen published.  In spite of the resident troll's rants
that machines can't do the job,  The Moore &Co. has proven itself quite
nicely in a variety of professional venues, as well as the Broadwood's "Best"
tuning.   These are mild tunings, but offer a definite contrast to ET without
going so far afield that you risk offending a newly interested customer's
ears.  While they may not be optimum for Bach, they do create the historical
palette of key characters.
Let us know how it goes,
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT