[pianotech] Academie Francaise (was Re: OT - humour)

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:07:40 +0200

Hi Phil

Reaction between your lines (hope you have a sense for humor, else, do NOT read this).

| Ben,

> no no no ! Ben is an american forename.  You meant : "Eh bien !"

| vous avez raison mon ami.

> more correct would be : "vous avez raison, mon ami". Only in american languange, they would spare the comma when saying : "you are right my friend" which appears to have double (imprecise) meaning : 1° "you are my freind,  right now" ; 2° "you are right, you who are my friend".

|  Peut-etre

> no no no : right spelling is : "Peut-être".  The "ê" stands for an archaic "es" spelling that became obsolete.

| nous avons besoin

no again ! right is : "peut-être avons-nous besoin"

| d'un list-nazi.

no no no : "d'une liste nazi".

| I can think of a couple of candidates.

what is the link with the Académie française ? (I don't understand).

| Phil F
|
| PS  Why does your name always appear as gobbledy-gook (sp?)in my e-mail
| program's name column? See two lines below.
|
| On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:07:46 +0200 =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane_Collin?=

Well, this is simply because american programmers never thought that in some foreign languages (foreign ? Whasthat ?) they could sometimes use accents to give a vowel special sound and meaning, very subtly different from the same vowel withour that accent.  When an american program has to digest this kind of non standard funny feature, it simply collapses. (Typical)

Good saying : "Every child needs a father.  Else, it stays a child".

Please, your reaction with humor or not.

Steve Collins (this should pass the filter).