[pianotech] leveling keys !!!!

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:16:14 -0700

> Hi Jack...
>
> Seems like in both these examples below the
> height of the key is not
> taken at the exact point of fulcum on the
> key... or what ? If thats the
> case doesnt that result in the keys ending up
> at slightly different
> angles so that the fronts appear level ??

Ric,
You have a point about the height adjustment at the back of the keys.  If the
fulcrum points (at the balance rail) are not level then in order to make the
front edges of the keys level the keys would have to be at different angles.
So, even though they might be level at the front, they might not be level all
along their length.  However, for the height adjustment with the jumbo drop
screw (for lack of a better description)the fulcrum point is the back rail,
just as it is with the current arrangement.  In one case, the keys rest on the
balance rail punchings, and in the other case the keys rest on the felt under
the jumbo drop screws.  So, the keys should be able to get just as level as
they do currently.  Both of these assume that the back rail with felt is
perfectly level in order for the angles of all the keys to be the same.  In
practice this isn't true, but since the keys are so long, the difference in
angle seems to be small enough not to be noticeable to the eye.

> As to the use of the word viable... grin.. I
> admit I use the word in a
> broad sense... certainly there are doable
> solutions other then the
> standard punching. But nothing that is actually
> easier at the same time
> as being cheaper, stable, and worth the cost of
> change all at the same
> time.
>
> That is unless of course... I am wrong.. :)
> Which as everyone (well
> practically everyone) knows almost never occurs
> :) :)
>
> Cheers
>
> RicB

I think I should adopt your position.  I'm almost certainly right, unless, of
course, I'm wrong.

Phil F