[pianotech] leveling keys !!!!

JWyatt1492@aol.com JWyatt1492@aol.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:17:52 EDT

Hello Phil F. and Richard B.

    Phil !  there are at least two (2) other  methods
that  were used  in the  past  that  were successful.
   Sorry Richard !  but both are viable

     The latest one used was in the " P.A. Starck "
 verticals in the 1960-61-62 time frame.  This was
also after the J.P. Seeburg Organ  Co. bought Starck.

      Under the key at the very back, an upright
 ( jack) let off rail was secured to the a wooden
rail with  a let-of button and felt facing up under
each
key. The key height was adjusted by turning the
let off button up or down. This was in their consols
and spinets.
   The down side being that after this was adjusted
you then had to adjust the capstan.

      The second method was in a  "Bowen-Henderson"
 1920s grand and perhaps others. This method used
a  "Jumbo" type drop screw that was inserted thru the
key just in front of the center rail pin.  Of course the
adjusting end of this screw was on top of the key.
There was no punching of any type.   There was a
strip of action cloth about a quarter inch wide in front
of the center pins.  And to answer the most logical
question, no,, there was no pulley keys and the piano
was well used.
     I demonstrate one of these in the
"Action History Class" that I give for the
PTG. Foundation

Regards,
Jack Wyatt