[pianotech] re: the true properties of EBVT

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 22:23:26 -0500

 << The interval size I measured that day I wrote that post of E3-G#3 at
17.5 and F#3-A#3 at 16 sure did sound to me like they were beating the same.
And even if they weren't really exactly the same as could be measured
scientifically, did this really matter that much?  Was it enough to
discredit someone's work of an entire decade?  Did it *ruin* the music?  I
hardly think so.  >>

Back when I was tuning the EBVT, the E major third was always beating faster
than the F# major third. This was one of the reasons why I stopped tuning
the EBVT. Alas, I was probably doing it "wrong," but I followed the
directions precisely.

The unequal tuning I do now is one I've developed on my own, but is very
likely just another temperament that I've not read about yet. Basically, it
is less varied than the EBVT and the E major third does not beat as fast,
which is more to my liking.

Sincerely,

John M. Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS