[pianotech] RE: Beat Rates in music

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 23:47:14 +0200

Hello,

You write :
> I have actually done an entire performance tuning, just to
> challenge
> myself, and not once used a 3rd or a 6th as a check, only
> 4ths, 5ths and
> octaves.  Once the slow beat of a fourth is made familiar
> to you, and you're willing to let the roll develop over several
seconds, octave
> tuning becomes incredibly precise in the low bass and high treble.

More or less what I've done , but I checked  the twelve's and doubles,
if a note sounded flat or high I then verify with the 3d 10th 17th
series to confirm, but regulated it with the fourth series.

Did not really check the octaves before the end of the tuning ass soon
as I had the feel for the fourths . It is indeed very precise - very
few where off.

The piano was intended for a contemporary music ensemble I know well
so the risk was not big.

Being in France I never hear Virgil Smith tunings, but many different
concert tuners and good ones.

In France we used to  learn to tune unisons for the temperament, that
is a more natural method (less easy too) that 1 string and coincident
partials. So there are people who tune by 10ths, by 17ths, by 5ths and
octaves, by fifths and 10ths, some by 12ths. Even not very accurate
tuners then have some 'personality' in their tunings because they use
their taste for the justness.

I use too the VT 100 which is a marvelous tool and very precise.

I will let you know what I will find .

Sante !

Isaac OLEG