[pianotech] A Rookie Question?

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 17:36:44 -0400

At 02:24 PM 9/9/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>..and this one has nothing to do with tuning..
>I need to install both hinges on a Grand Lid..they are missing, and I am
>ordering them after I type this message.
>I have never done this repair before, and I honestly can't 'see' how one
>person (moi) can do this repair solo..
>Suggestions?

Install the new hinges on the case and carefully place the lid on the piano.
Position the lid overhang evenly, close the small lid to make sure the lock
bar clears the case.

Once the position has been determined, use a pencil to draw the position
of the hinge barrel on the bottom of the lid.

Invert the lid and place the butt hinges on the pencil marks.

Install the top (single) screw, replace the lid and relocate lid. Install
hinge pins.

Scribe the side of the hinges with a pencil.  Take it from there...

If you're feeling lucky, drill all screws from the barrel outline but leave
the screws slightly loose
to position the lid once the hinge pins are installed. Then tighten the
hinge screws with the lid in place.
Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.