[pianotech] re: the true properties of EBVT

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 18:54:31 +0000

Bill, Ed, and other respected technicians,

I read and re-read what got thrown out on the list on this topic.  As I've
been involved in this thread for many years, I thought it was time for me to
respond.   Now, what got me to write is this:

Bill Bremmer wrote:

Ed Foote lied and tried to escalate a fight on this list as he has done many
times in the past by saying:

>This doesn't change the fact that the ebvt creates a more tempered E-G# of
>17+cents than the F#-A# of 13.7.  It is folly to think that going up two
>semitones will somehow make the F# third seem to beat faster.  It doesn't,
>and the harmonic balance is poor because of it.
<snip>

(Back to Bill Bremmer)
These are the correct figures which Ed knows are correct and do not create
an imbalance but instead, Equal Beating, which is allowed under
Werkmeister's rules:

E3           17.5

F#3         16.0

I tune by ear, so rather than depending on a program, I listen to what I am
doing.  The very last thing I would ever do is create a temperament which
has the kind of imbalances which Ed maliciously used to try to discredit
what I've been doing for 10 years.
<snip>

Back to me...
Now, without any inflammatory language, what I see here is a
misunderstanding of terms.

Ed described, using the the width of Major thirds in cents, a non-standard
progression, when comparing the latest published figures for the EBVT.  Bill
responded, correctly, that BEATS, not cents, govern what we hear.  However,
the above numbers, showing beats/second still show that by using the
published numbers, the Emaj third will beat one and a half beats/second
faster than the F#maj third.  These numbers still support Ed's position.

So, I think the terminology of equal beating has caused some confusion.
Those of us "number crunchers" took the term very literally.  Equal means
equal.  This has been the difficulty making the numbers work for the EBVT.
If we are now to accept that for the purposes of creating the temperament,
16 equals (or is close enough to) 17.5, there is a much wider range into
which this temperament may fit.

Respectfully submitted,

Ron Koval