separated pin block

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 08 Sep 2002 21:23:58 -0500

Hi Terry,
              Drill straight down vertically, half the material coming from
the post, half from the spacer. About three quarters way down the depth of
the spacer.  Use PVC electrical tape to seal the bottom and sides of the
spacer.    The dowel will lock the spacers in position.   The epoxy will
gap fill, the space between the post and spacer.  Simple and
neat.   Remember to do the bottom spacers while you are at it, for a
complete rigid structure.   When rebuilding verticals it will make a big
difference to sustain.

We do the repair with the piano on it's back, so the drill is parallel to
the floor.   It's hard to dam the spacer to post gap, at the rear.

It's almost an exercise in futility, bolting every thing together, if the
spacers are loose. In most cases where there is block to back support
separation, the spacers are also loose, for all the time it takes just
dowel them.

I thought every one did this way.  <G>

Roger