Capo shape question

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 18:11:01 -0700

>   Hi Dave -- for those of us who haven't read the book what is the
>prescribed procedure and how would you describe the tonal improvement?
>   Thanks>>>>Dale Erwin

Hey Dale----before I answer, I want to thank you sincerely for your "work
the knots out of the shoulders" tip when voicing----it has made a huge
improvement in my ability to control tone. You da man.  This list is
priceless.

If the plate is out of the piano, it's easy.  You'll see where the
strings have sort of machined into the soft iron, and that the
termination point is in a "U" shape rather than a "V" shape.  Use a file
suitable for soft iron, and carefully work small amounts of material off
the capo bar until there's maybe a 1 mm termination, and the edge looks
like a "V."  Pretty simple, and the procedure produces a much stronger
fundamental tone with either the illusion of more sustain, or more
sustain. Handy in this, the weakest speaking area of a Steinway(low
treble).

You can also do it with the plate in by destringing the capo(we usually
do it in four sections, starting from the treble break) and doing the
same thing as above using mirrors and squeezing your head as far into the
action cavity as it will go---this is trickier, and takes more
skill----DON'T FORGET TO BE CONSERVATIVE.  Sneak up on it.  Don't take
off too much material.

And that's it.  If you need me to, when Steve Bellieu, my partner and
shop wizard, gets back in town
(9/10) I'll have him describe the procedure in greater detail.  He's the
king of the "V."

Best, David A.