wood - was: removing key pins

Sun, 8 Sep 2002 18:03:10 -0700

Say what?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Roberts" <kpiano@goldrush.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 08, 2002 5:49 PM
Subject: Re: wood - was: removing key pins

I think what is happening is the wood cells that have been compressed around
the balance hole, by the playing or un careful removal, or easement are
swelling back up. I t stays swollen, the cell, and the key has to be eased.
If we have a novice on the job nailing off siding, the hammer divots can get
numerous. Give him a bad time about not being able to hit what he's aiming
at and make him think that repairing will cost him out of his paycheck by
the divot. Wait a couple of damp mornings or hose it down and have them go
count how much it's going to cost them. There won't be a hammer mark
anywhere. (Unless the guy is really bad, in that case he packs lumber and
cleans the job site)
Keith R