New Steinway D fixed

Sun, 08 Sep 2002 21:56:50 +0200

Bill, Joe, Ron, Roger, Del, Jon, and anyone I am forgetting
:)

Just thought I'd close this off by saying the problem is
solved. As it turned out all that I had to do was to
tightened the two screws that fasten this thing to the
plate. I had to tune the instrument today, so I took along a
very hefty screwdriver and it was easy enough to put a half
turn on both screws. The rattle when knocking the side of
the tension bar dissapeared, replaced by a nice sounding
resonance. There was no longer even the slightest hint of
the buzz that intermitantly had been most annoying. And
interestingly enough it seemed actually as if the tone in
the immediate area got a bit clearer. Could be my
imagination, or simply the result of that extra and
undesirable sound component eliminated... but still.

As for backing off that plate to rim coupling bolt. I
decided to throw that one back in the hands of the fellow
who tightened it in the first place, and refered the
customer back to Steinway Service in that regard.

Thanks for the info and words of advice one and all. Turned
out easy.

Cheers

RicB

--